StartUs Insights Mobility Report 2024
- Executive Summary
- Introduction to the Mobility Report 2024
- What data is used in this Mobility Industry Report?
- Snapshot of the Global Mobility Industry
- Funding Landscape in the Mobility Industry
- Who is Investing in Mobility?
- Emerging Trends in the Mobility Industry
- 5 Mobility Startups impacting the Industry
Executive Summary: Global Mobility Outlook 2024
This report is created using data obtained from the Big Data and AI-powered StartUs Insights Discovery Platform, covering more than 3.7 million global companies, as well as 20K+ technologies and emerging trends. We also analyzed a sample of 4300+ mobility startups developing innovative solutions to present five examples from emerging mobility industry trends.
- Industry Overview: Despite a slight decline in growth (-1.23%), the mobility sector continues to innovate, with 455 600 companies active in the industry.
- Workforce Expansion: Impressive employment growth, adding 2.1 million jobs in the last year, bringing the total global workforce to 43.8 million.
- Global Distribution: Major mobility innovation hubs in the USA, Germany, the UK, India, and Canada.
- Investment Landscape: Over 83 000 funding rounds closed, reflecting a highly active investment scene within the mobility sector.
- Innovation and Patents: Over 221 000 patents filed, demonstrating strong R&D focus and technological advancement in the mobility industry.
- Emerging Trends: Top trends include EV charging networks, zero emissions, and new mobility solutions like micromobility.
- Startup Contributions: Highlighting five innovative mobility startups, including (EV charging software stack), (battery-electric long haul trucks), (mocromobility routing), (AI fleet management), and (V2X mmWave radar).
- Financial Backing: Financial commitments from top investors like Warburg Pincus and SoftBank exceed USD 26 billion. This showcases confidence in the sector’s growth potential.
- Recommendations for Stakeholders: Invest in emerging mobility technologies and leverage emerging trends to stay ahead in the rapidly evolving transportation landscape.
Explore the Data-driven Mobility Industry Report for 2024
The Mobility Report 2024 uses data from the Discovery Platform and encapsulates the key metrics that underline the sector’s dynamic growth and innovation. Despite experiencing a slight decline with a -1.23% dip in industry growth over the past year, the mobility sector is now recovering from the disruptions caused by the covid pandemic. The report still identifies 455 600 total companies within the database, indicating the vastness of the industry’s infrastructure.The sector’s vitality is further demonstrated by an impressive employee growth figure of 2.1 million in the last year. This expansion reflects the industry’s capacity to generate jobs and sustain a large workforce, which now stands at 43.8 million globally. This number is reflected across growth in all areas of mobility, including autonomous, shared, electric, connected, and micro-mobility.
Unlock comprehensive insights into the mobility industryThe map visualized the global distribution of the 4300+ startups and emerging companies in our platform. The top five country hubs are the USA, Germany, the UK, India, and Canada. These hubs serve as critical centers for mobility innovation and commercialization. The report also highlights five innovative mobility startups from around the world: PIONIX from Germany, Terraline from the USA, Pointz also from the USA, Solv4x from Canada, and Muye Microelectronics from China. These startups are at the forefront of the mobility revolution, developing solutions that may shape the future of transportation.
What data is used to create this mobility report?
Based on the data provided by our Discovery Platform, we observe that the mobility industry ranks among the top 5% in the following categories relative to all 20K topics in our database. These categories provide a comprehensive overview of the industry’s key metrics and inform the short-term future direction of the industry.
- News Coverage & Publications: There have been more than 161 000 publications in the last year alone. This showcases the industry’s prominence and the media’s high interest in mobility developments.
- Funding Rounds: Our database covers data on over 83 000 funding rounds. This reflects a highly active investment landscape within the mobility sector.
- Manpower: The industry employs more than 43 million workers globally. It also demonstrated remarkable growth by adding over 2 million new employees in the last year.
- Patents: Innovation in the mobility industry is thriving with the filing of over 221 000 patents. This is indicative of a strong focus on research and development.
- Grants: The sector is supported by over 7600 grants, providing substantial financial backing for continued innovation and growth.
- and more! Book a demo to explore all data points used in this report.
A Snapshot of the Global Mobility IndustryWith a global manpower of 43.8 million, the industry plays a pivotal role in the world’s economy by providing jobs but also in shaping the future of transportation. The last year has seen robust workforce expansion, with an addition of 2.1 million employees. This significant increase in employee growth further highlights the rapid pace at which the mobility sector is evolving to meet increasing demand.Innovation in mobility is further underscored by the substantial number of patents recorded, over 221 000, showcasing the sector’s commitment to advancing technology and securing intellectual property rights. Financial support for innovation is also strong, with more than 7 600 grants awarded, fueling research and development efforts.
Explore the Funding Landscape of the Mobility IndustryFinancially, the industry is on an upward trajectory. An average investment value of USD 21.6 million underscores the substantial amount of capital that is being funneled into mobility ventures. This figure speaks to investor confidence and the perceived potential for high returns on investments in this sector.The engagement of over 24 000 investors demonstrates the wide appeal of the mobility industry, attracting a diverse array of financial backers, from venture capitalists to corporate investors. This is further corroborated by the impressive number of funding rounds closed, which exceeds 83 000. Such a high number of funding activities indicates a thriving ecosystem where innovation is encouraged and also financially supported.
Who is Investing in Mobility?The mobility industry is underpinned by substantial financial commitments from its top investors, with a combined value exceeding USD 26 billion. This is indicative of the sector’s high growth potential and the confidence that investors have in it. Here’s a look at the leading contributors:
- : its USD 4.7 billion investment across 41 companies makes Warburg Pincus stand out as the top investor. It demonstrates their strategic emphasis on the mobility sector.
- : has allocated USD 4.3 billion to 31 companies, signaling their belief in the transformative potential of mobility technologies.
- : focused on energy infrastructure and mobility, it has invested USD 4.2 billion in 13 companies, showcasing a targeted investment approach.
- : with investments totaling USD 3.4 billion in 49 companies, the European Investment Bank supports a broad range of mobility ventures. It underlines its commitment to advancing the sector in Europe.
- : A global investment player, Goldman Sachs has put USD 2.7 billion into 35 companies, affirming their confidence in the industry’s growth.
- : has invested USD 2.7 billion across 42 companies, reflecting a strategy to diversify within the sector.
- : This tech giant has invested USD 2.3 billion in 30 companies. It indicates Tencent’s strategic interests in the mobility ecosystem and its ancillary services.
- : Showing a significant governmental investment in the sector, the US Department of Energy has contributed USD 2.2 billion across 42 companies. This further underlines a commitment to sustainable and innovative mobility solutions.
Gain Access to Top Mobility Innovations & Industry Trends with the Discovery PlatformThe visual showcases the key growing trends within the mobility sector over the last year. Among other trends, it highlights the industry’s shift towards sustainability and electrification. At the top of the list is EV charging networks, with 442 companies and 3.5K mentions, indicating significant development in infrastructure support. Zero Emissions trends dominate with 38 000+ mentions and 4300 companies, reinforcing the industry’s focus on decarbonization. Book a demo to explore the full list of trends impacting the industry.
Get Instant Access to All Mobility Trends & Companies!
5 Top Examples from 4300+ Innovative Mobility Startups impacting the IndustryThe five innovative startups showcased below are picked based on data including the trend they operate within and their relevance, founding year, funding status, and more. Book a platform demo to find promising startups, emerging trends, or industry data specific to your company’s needs and objectives.
PIONIX builds an Open Source Software Stack for EV Charging
German startup offers EVerest, a full-featured open source software stack for electric vehicle charging. Built with industry partners, it also supports standards like OCPP, ISO15118, and IEC-61851. It unifies the fragmented EV charging ecosystem by enabling compatibility between EVs and chargers. The startup offers expertise in testing and research to optimize hardware and infrastructure projects.
Terraline manufacturers Battery-Electric Long Haul Trucks
US-based startup introduces The New Tangra LH1, a battery-electric truck for long-haul freight transportation. It features a range of over 500 miles on a single charge and can fast charge on existing networks. The Tangra LH1 enables the decarbonization of freight fleets by providing a zero-emissions solution for long-haul transportation needs.